Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Collections

Collections give a home a real personality - actually an extension of the personalities of the people who live there.


When I was a newlywed, I found an antique green pottery mixing bowl at an antiques fair. I loved it and bought it and then began looking for more of them. Eventually, I branched out to other green pottery: plates, pitchers, mugs...until it became a collection that covered the walls and open shelves of our Washington, D.C. kitchen. Now in this much smaller house it has been condensed into one window but still gives the flavor I love to see in a kitchen and brings me much pleasure.


My collection of antique Chinese Rose Famille porcelain started when my sister gave me a covered rice bowl for Christmas. I thought it was so beautiful I based the color scheme of my dining room on it and began looking for more, buying a piece here and there over the years. This small collection is as big as it will get - there's no room for more.


I love collections of items massed together to make a real statement but sometimes a piece can stand alone or mix with other objets to great effect. As in this tabletop arrangement featuring an orchid in a Rose Famille cachepot combined with pieces from Terry's collection of Egyptian and Roman antiquities.

I love my collections - they make my house my home.

Related Posts with Thumbnails