Tuesday, May 24, 2011

My New Favorite Couple: Jill Rosenwald and Lawrence McRae

On Saturday, I attended a pottery show for these two amazing Boston-based artists.

One of my best friends saw online that I had recently become a fan of Jill's work (see the Wishing True blog post HERE), and immediately e-mailed to say that she not only owned several pieces, but was attending a show that weekend.

Is that fated or what?!

Here are some pictures I took at the show:












This is also where I discovered the work of Jill's husband, Lawrence McRae.




I didn't take as many pictures of his work (only because there was less natural light where it was displayed and I'm still working on my very limited photography skills), but here are some of my favorite pieces in his Etsy shop:







In case you were wondering, that third picture that I took is a close up of the last lamp (Trudeau in Nairobi) above.

While Jill's work is all about painted designs, graceful shapes and bright, bold colors, Lawrence's has a more organic feel with patterned cutouts and rich glazes. Both styles are equally unique and distinctive, and I would recognize either immediately.

Jill's blog is a great resource for more information on their design process and inspiration (I loved this post on Lawrence's process), but you can also find a great little "tour" on her website's About page (click the arrows in the upper right corners to page through).


How dumb was I to not request a picture with Jill at the show? I was so excited about my new camera (and trying to actually use it properly, novice that I am) that I forgot that I could take a pictures of people too. Then I left it on a counter while chatting with the artist and had to come back for it twenty minutes later.

Well, here's a super cute picture of Jill from her website:


It was such a pleasure to meet her. I'll be back next year (oh yes - this is an annual event!) with better photography skills and more money for shopping!

Related Posts with Thumbnails